Monday, May 2, 2011

More of Venice and another Galleria....

Today we visited more of Venice strolling through the streets which look more like alleys.  Venice is a city made of hundreds of islands and vehicles cannot go past the mainland.  You must board a mode of water transportation to go into the city.  Of course, the most famous way is by gondola but the fastest way is by water taxi.  When we arrived by water taxi today, we viewed St. Marks (Please excuse my typing errors.  I am typing on an Italian keyboard and it is quite different and does not have some of the standard punctuation marks.)  Square, a glass-blowing demonstration, and then had time to explore the sites of the city.  We meandered our way to the Rialto bridge and saw the shops along the way.  In the shops and markets, you will see your average souvenirs but you will also see items specific to Venice such as masks, Murano glass, and laces.
After leaving Venice, we journeyed to Milan.  When we arrived in Milan, we viewed the famous Cathedral, la Scala theatre, and the Galleria.  The architecture of the Cathedral is gothic and the size is astounding.  Milan is Italys center of fashion.  Famous brands and designers are seen in the Galleria and surrounding shops.  Much as the Galleria in Houston, you see items that you can only gaze upon.  (smile).  So, I guess whether it is the Galleria in Houston or the Galleria in Milan, it is all for appreciating the finer things in life! (heehee)
And once again, I have no pictures to add to this post.  Hopefully, I have helped to paint a picture with words.  I know it is terrible but will you please forgive me?  Europe is westernized but it is still not America.  Again, ciao!!!!

2 comments:

  1. "masks, Murano glass, and laces" Ok that's it I'm coming over there!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tara! So exciting to get to read what y'all are seeing! We studied La Scala when I was getting my Music Degree. So I would LOVE to see it in person....

    Is the Rialto bridge the same as what they call "the bridge of sighs"????

    and I hope some day to own a real Venetian mask, the kind on the stick... venetian lace from Venice would also be a dream come true...
    Happy Globe - Trotting!

    Thanks for sharing with us all!
    In His Love,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!