Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Colesseum- a picture from Rome

I know that I'm not going to be your best blogging buddy in blogland with only posting one picture but hey, you are getting one at least.  ha!  I've been technically challenged since we've returned.  Just to give a brief explanation- in my attempt to become a better photographer and learn all that I can about my new camera and photography, I jumped in head first (Is anyone surprised?  LOL) and starting shooting in RAW format so that I could have greater manipulation of my images if necessary during post-processing.  Well, I did it without even making sure that I had the proper software.  So, anyway, there was the challenge.  All's well that ends well but my story's not over.....I've only begun the first few chapters but I'm enjoying the process.  *smile

So, for now, here's a picture from inside the Colesseum in Rome.  Gladiators fought with animals and sometimes each other.  The Colesseum provided entertainment in hopes that happier citizens would be better citizens.  What looks like a stone maze on the bottom was the walls for the animal's cages.  These cages were built under the wood floor of the Colosseum which was covered in dirt to help absorb the blood from the fights.  The Colosseum had a seating capacity for 50,000 spectators and with 80 entrances (76 used for non-VIP's), it could be evacuated in minutes if necessary.  (You can read more information at Wikipedia about the Colosseum.) 


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the photo...oh my! What a terrible and yet overwheleming experience it must have been to stand in such a place.....

    To think of all the blood that was shed there just for the amusement of the sadistic Romans... My goodness....and to think it still stands all these years later, even after an earthquake!

    I am so thrilled y'all got to experience all of that history first hand, and am so looking forward to seeing any photos you may be able to share!

    Good for you for expanding your camera knowledge! Isn't it fun to learn new things??
    luv ya!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo and info! Keep it up! I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting, can't wait to see and read more! Pretty picture too, guess you've showed the photographer taking it a few things?..lol, he did great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! @Yvette- I try...he'd rather "shoot" animals though! lol It is pretty awesome to stand in a building that dates back to about 80 A.D. When you go into the arena area, it's pretty quiet. Guess everyone else is awestruck as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!