Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My source of inspiration...

Several months ago, while shopping for Baby Pierson, these cute shoes caught my eye. I just knew that a son/grandson of Wheeler Tractor Service HAD to have a pair. I thought that I just "might happen upon" the perfect outfit to go with them but I never did. So, as "D-day" approached, I knew that Pierson would end up with a custom garment, made with love, by Aunt Tara. I headed to his Nonni's sewing closet and found the perfect fabric. I sketched a backhoe exactly like the one on the shoe to use as my applique design. However, when I drew it larger to fit on the romper, it looked absolutely "dorky." So, I then perused a Janome embroidery design book looking for a backhoe to copy. Thankfully, I found one. I enlarged the design on the copy machine until it was the right size for the garment. I then drew it off on paper, cut my pieces, added WonderUnder to my applique fabrics and traced my design onto the backside of the fabrics. Then, I cut the applique pieces out and ironed them onto the romper and appliqued them on the machine. After I finished, I decided it needed something else....ahh...monogramming...just the finishing touch...just for "Pierson". I know Dad, Pops, and uncles probably aren't impressed with my backhoe, but considering the one on the shoe was "cartoonish", I couldn't make it exact. Turned out "cutesy"- just how I wanted. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!!