Listening to this song brought back so many memories. My Daddy first heard this song when I sang it in a music program in elementary school. He always liked it and wanted it sung at his funeral and my mom told him that there was no way that my sisters and I could sing that song at his funeral. When he passed away on March 28, 2001, my mom reminded my sisters and I of Daddy's wish. However, we all agreed, "No way!" We did honor his wish by singing a different song and we asked one of our friends, Dana Jackson Miller, to sing "Daddy's Hands." So, in a way, Daddy got his wish. *smile*
This song could have been written by me or my sisters because it is so fitting of our Daddy. He had very unique and distinctive hands. They were calloused from work but not too much; his fingernails were impeccable because he used his knife to clean them (that's a man for you!); his hangnails were trimmed with clippers; and his nails were always trimmed a certain way. As a Daddy and a Pastor, those hands were so special to me. Not only did he give hugs and little play spats on the face picking at me but those hands were the ones that prayed for me when I was sick and baptized me in water in the name of Jesus. My Daddy's hands will always be in my memories.
I love you Daddy and miss you today and always. "There was always love in Daddy's hands."
Love,
Your T-bo!
p.s. More "Daddy" related posts here, here, here, here, and here! (My Daddy's pretty special to me, can't you tell? heehee)
p.s.s. My friend Kerri's dad is in need of prayer and a miracle for his ailing heart. Please remember Rev. Dan Kitchens.
Oh, that is such a beautiful song.... so glad you had such a wonderful daddy,and have so many precious memories of him. Nothing can take those memories away from you, and then you know for sure will get to see him again some beautiful day! What a day to look forward too!
ReplyDeleteI will be praying for Bro. Kitchens.....
hugs,
Jenni
Love this post, Tara. Thanks for sharing. This song was played in my wedding. I feel the same sentiments about my Daddy's hands too! So, thanks for the sweet reminder.
ReplyDeleteEld. Kitchens is in my family's prayers. That man has been a huge blessing in my life...more ways than I can count. If you see Kerri tell her "hi" for me :-)
Thank you for sharing your "story." :-) Something about us girls and our dads. I will pass it along to Kerri.
ReplyDelete