Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A tribute: 9 years...so long but yet so short

Sunday, March 28, marked nine years ago that my daddy had an address change. My daddy will always be 64..cannot imagine him being 73. Daddy and Grandbuddy are still frequent words in our home. I'm so thankful that although my babies will never know their Grandbuddy, God has allowed me to remember him very well and be able to share those memories with them. In fact, I can still hear him harmonizing on "Address Change Notification" with me and mother. So often, I think of his pieces of advice- "dress for the job that you want, not the one that you have", "when you are the most miserable, it means that God is working", "you can find a job if you have a good education and an imagination"....just to name a few. Although he was short in stature, he was a giant in so many ways. Yes, he had his peculiarities about his clothing and how things should be, but "john brown-it", don't we all? He would be considered a perfectionist by most but I must say that he took pride in things in life, most especially the house of God. "If a government building like the post office looks as nice as it does, why shouldn't God's house?" From a young child until adulthood, God blessed him with life! He enjoyed it whether it was around the house of God, the people of God, his family, or his many 'wheeled' interest. Daddy felt like God had given him extra years to see the last of his family grow up. To Daddy, my graduating from high school, college, and being married meant that his "job" was done. He was relieved that he was able to see me graduate from high school and he commented to mother that if God would let him see me graduate from college; God granted his wish! So, Daddy dared to believe in one more milestone and that was my being married. God granted that too!!!! He was at one of the weakest stages in his life. But thank God, he walked me down the aisle in August of 2000 and in November he fulfilled his dream of going to a foreign mission field to visit The Mauhautieres (sp?) in Haiti. He became very sick after that but God was still good to all of us! When he took his last breath, I looked across the bed at mother and with tears in my eyes, I said, "I have more to go to Heaven for than I had yesterday." Daddy...you are still greatly loved and deeply missed. One day, my goal is to see those hands again.."Daddy's hands". With tears rolling down my cheeks, I remain, your baby girl, Tabo! I love you.....always!"

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! I can only imagine how you feel and I am so thankful you still have the memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears are rolling down my face, too! Your father sounds like a wonderful man and you are so blessed to have had him in your life! And what a consolation to know he is waiting for you on the other side! :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!