Thursday, August 18, 2011

A blessing....

Let me start at the beginning.  About 11 years ago, my husband was elbowed in the neck while playing basketball.  For months, he could hardly speak above a whisper.  He went to the doctor but after the examination, the doctor told him that there was nothing wrong; no permanent damage.  Well, that was good news but we knew better.  He no longer even had a prominent Adam's apple!  We should have gotten a second opinion then but we didn't.  So, for eleven years, my husband has just dealt with it and babied his voice. 
It was very worrisome because it did limit his ability to be involved at times.  He eventually had to quit singing in the choir but the biggest worry was that God had called him to preach and now his voice was shot.  After resigning from the choir, he learned that he couldn't play his trumpet, lead service, and exhort all in the same service.  So, when he knew what he needed to do that night in service, he just rested from the others. 
I had started praying for his healing years ago.  However, a couple of years ago, I thought, "Why would God call him to do a job that he wasn't equipped for?"  That really increased my faith and I believed that he would receive a gradual healing.  Thankfully, in the past year, he has seen a marked improvement in his vocal stamina.  He could actually lead the singing!  Then came youth camp.....the heat and extended hours of use, took its toll on his voice.  Since then, he seemed to be back to square one.
Here comes the blessing part!  He asked me to schedule him an appointment to have it checked.  I wasn't sure who to schedule with or what type of doctor.  I just decided to go with an ear, nose, and throat doctor.  I looked up one in a professional building that I was familiar with.  There was only one and he had been in practice over 30 years and had only a single review but it was good.  *smile*  My husband went to the appointment and came home telling me all that the doctor had said.  In talking with the doctor and telling him how he used his voice, the doctor said, "Well, we have some things in common.  I'm a minister as well and I preach out regularly."  When my husband told me that, I couldn't help but thank the Lord!!!!  He had directed us to just the right doctor!
The best news is that there is no damage and his problems stem from his latest development of Acid Reflux.  So, changes in diet and sleep position along with some medications should help it all!  I'm so grateful for a Friend who cares about our lives!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have prayed for him several times since you mentioned this when we were all talking with Sis. Cooley, at the choir clinic. I did notice that when he "expounded" the other night, his voice seemed stronger.....

    As a voice major in college, I can agree that acid reflux will tear your voice up really badly. Hmmm..... maybe we need to mention that to Bro. Roy E. he mentioned the other night that he is still having problems with his....

    So glad you found a good doctor! And that y'all have the BEST one n your side... the GREAT physician.
    Bless you and your family, dear friend!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often worried about his voice too. So thankful for the blessings of God.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!