Thursday, July 7, 2011

17 years ago....

Going back to May 20, 1994...


...these shoes were worn with a graduation gown, royal blue in color.  I proudly wore the color of my alma mater, Pitkin High School.  Though we were graduating as a class of less than 30, we were a close group.  Most of us graduated from Kindergarten together, then we graduated from the eighth grade together, and this would be our final graduation together.  Looking back through my more mature eyes, that was a tiny milestone compared to the ones that I would pass in the next 17 years.  But, oh, that was THE night!  The one that we had waited for for 12 LONG (and glorious to me now) years.  Those were the most carefree days of our lives, but we had no clue.  Our graduation was a lengthy affair, with the time being filled with songs and speeches since we didn't have 400 diplomas that needed to be handed out.  Before we received our diplomas, the scholarships were awarded and those included ones from many universities, including Louisiana Tech University (That's really the only one worth mentioning.  heehee  Go Dawgs!).  One of my classmates, was even heading off to West Point!  Yes, from Pitkin to West Point!  AND....one of my other friends had gone the year before! 
So, back to the shoes.  I have had these shoes all these years; stored in their original box with the receipt even.  I had a hard time finding shoes after Easter and found this pair of Enzo's at Joseph's in Lake Charles and paid more than I should have for white shoes.  (Oh, how I would so love to have that store again.  It was an awesome shoe store.)  They could still be worn if you didn't mind the paint on the inside flaking off on your feet!  LOL  I decided to finally part with them just a few months ago but not before removing the shoe clips.  (Yes, what comes in style, comes BACK in style!)  And in case you're wondering, which I'm sure that you are, these were worn with an outfit consisting of a white shirt with a big, ruffled collar (See?  Ruffles are back too!  *ha), a long, red jacket, and a flowing, white skirt.  I had to wear my hair down in curls since I didn't think a graduation cap with any other hairstyle.  Four years later, I found a way!  Besides, that was just more professionally becoming for a college graduate, right?  LOL  (Wearing my hair down in curls is really not my style, in case you can't tell. *ha)    
There you have it, the shoes with a story.  Oh, but they are just one pair in my closet.  Maybe one day, I'll share the biography of some others...    

2 comments:

  1. What neat memories and recollections you must have of that milestone day....

    Hugs,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading! We were sooo young... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!