Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Dedication gift for my precious nephew!

My little nephew, Pierson Lane Wheeler is being dedicated tomorrow. It's a very special day in the life of a child but it's a very significant day in a parent's life when you make the public commitment to always raise your child in the ways of the Lord. As parents, when they are born, we give them to God, but Dedication Day reaffirms our commitment with a beautiful ceremony and a very memorable occasion. It is part of a child's Christian Heritage and we want them to have mementos from this beautiful day. In the Cooper family, as far as I can remember, my mom has always given something special for our baby's dedication day. This tradition may actually have originated in her family, the Griffins. So, for Pierson's dedication, I wanted to do something special for him too. His Nonni (Wheeler grandmother), made him a beautiful dedication outfit, including all the matching accessories, so, he didn't need another bib or burp cloth from me (*smile*). His other grandmother, is a very creative and talented lady also, and I figured that she would do something unique for him. I thought about a bible with his name on it but thought that he might already have one so I decided to make him a bible cover. Using my sewing machine (Janome/New Home 8000), that was given to me by my mother-in-law, I embroidered his initials on white linen using blue thread. I then added some decorative stitching to "frame" his monogram. I also incorporated a love knot tied from blue ribbon. Throughout generations, blue is a very important color. According to scripture, in Numbers 15, verses 37-41, the Lord spoke to Moses to tell the children of Israel that throughout all their generations, to place a ribbon of blue in the fringed borders of their garments. This was to be a reminder to obey the commandments of the Lord and to be holy unto God. In verse 41, it is written, "I am the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: I am the Lord your God." Thank God for His word and a Christian Heritage! So, my project is complete! I added the date of Pierson's Dedication Day on the inside of the bible cover as another reminder of his special day. May the Lord bless him and keep him all the days of his life and bless his parents as they endeavor to guide him in the ways of the Lord. I love you Pierson Lane!!! "Aunt":-)
p.s. Pictures of the special day coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!!